Bubliki, Bublici, Russian Bagels with Poppy and Sesame Seeds, Russian Boiled Buns, Eggless Bagels, Baking Recipe, Easy Bread Recipe, Russian Bread Recipe, Parchment Paper, Oddy Uniwraps Parchment Paper
For the dough
- 400 g or 3 & 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup or 250 g milk (heated to boiling point and allowed to cool down again)
- 2 g instant/4 g dry/8 g fresh yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3.5 tablespoons Sugar
- 50 g butter
For the glaze
- 1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- Poppy seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Take All Purpose Flour in a bowl and make well in the center.
- Add Sugar and Instant yeast.
- Close the well by flicking flour on the surface of the milk. Let it sit for one hour.
- After an hour of resting add salt and butter.
- Combine everything and knead into a soft dough. It should take good 15 minutes. The softness of bagels depends on this.
- Cover the kneaded dough with a cling wrap and let it rest for 2 hours.
- After two hours bring the dough on a non- floured surface and deflate. Knead again for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal size using a pastry scraper or sharp knife.
- Roll each part into seamless balls. Cover these balls under a lint free kitchen towel.
- Poke a hole in each piece by pinching it through the middle with your thumb and first finger and then poke your finger through the hole and gently stretch out each piece from the center so that it is a circle.
- The holes have to be made 4 cm in diameter because they have a tendency to stretch back and close. Therefore, they need to be stretched and placed on a lightly floured kitchen towel for 30 minutes before proceeding further. Do not forget to cover them from top.
- In the meanwhile preheat your oven to 220 Degree C. Line a baking sheet with Oddy Uniwraps parchment paper. Also boil water in a large wide vessel. Place the bagels in water for thirty seconds. Do not over crowd the vessel.
- Remove them with slotted spoon on a wire rack to drip off extra water.
- Once the extra water is dripped off, place them on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and glaze them with eggwash and sprinkle them with poppy seeds and Sesame seeds. I made two batches one with either one of them.
- Bake them in oven for 25-30 minutes or until you see them golden brown in colour. Cool them completely before indulging. Apply some butter and enjoy with your favourite cup of coffee or tea.