Basil seeds are loaded with essential nutrients, anti-oxidants and omega-3s. These are used in Ayurvedic, Unani and traditional Chinese medicines. These little seeds are rich in proteins, iron and fiber and so are a great source of health. Due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, these seeds are a wonderful remedy for coronary artery diseases as well as oral healthcare issues.
Some of its health-related benefits are:
1. Useful in Weight Loss: Basil seeds are low in calories but rich in soluble dietary fiber due to which it gives you a feeling of fullness or satiety and suppresses your appetite, thereby helping in keeping a check on your weight. You should make these seeds a part of your diet by combining them with fitness and exercise.
2. Anti-inflammatory Effect: In Ayurveda, Basil seeds are used in reducing arthritic swelling as these have anti-inflammatory property. It inhibits inflammatory pathways in the body.
3. Increases Oral Health: Basil seeds help in treating mouth ulcers as these have antimicrobial, antiviral and antibacterial properties. These are good for oral health and prevent dental issues like cavities, plaque and bad breath. These can also be used as mouth-freshener.
4. Salve Digestive System: Basil seeds have diuretic properties which help in soothing the digestive system and aids in digestion. These seeds also treat problems related to bowel movement like diarrhea, dysentery, constipation and gastric ulcers.
5. Treat Hypertension: Basil seeds help in controlling cholesterol related problems and treat hypertension. They also improve cardiovascular health and reduce high lipid levels in the body.
6. Fight Stress and Depression: Basil seeds help in alleviating stress and tension and relax the mind. They reduce depression and mental fatigue due to anti-stress property.
7. Treat Cold and Cough: The antispasmodic effect of basil seeds is beneficial in treatment of cold, cough and asthma. It is also antipyretic which lowers down fever.
8. Immunity Booster: Basil seeds have antioxidant rich nutrients like flavonoid and phenolic which boost immunity and help fight signs of aging and cellular damage.
While consuming basil seeds, some precautions need to be considered:
1) It is better to soak these seeds in water prior to consumption so that they swell-up to their maximum size else these might choke the food pipe.
2) Children should not be given these seeds without proper supervision.
3) Consuming a spoonful of soaked seeds in a dessert or a drink is fine.
So, enjoy these nutritional and healthy seeds but in a careful way.